Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Lion isnt safe, tame or cuddly.

"Are you not thirsty?" said the Lion.
"I am dying of thirst," Said Jill.
"Then drink," said the Lion.

"May I...could I..would you mind going away while I do?" said Jill.

The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience
The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.

"Will you promise not to - do anything to me, if I do come?" said Jill.
"I make no promise," said the Lion.

Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer. "Do you eat girls?" she asked.

"I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didnt say this as if it were boasting, not as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.

"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.

C.S Lewis offered this parable to vividly portray the heart of our powerful God. The image Lewis created is trying to awaken our desire for a God who is awesome and powerful.
We have noticed that (for the most part) todays evangelical community seems to only promote one side of the God described in the Bible: the "nice" side. The vast majority of the songs and sermons that permeate churches around America climax with "God loves you," or the often quoted John 3:16. Unfortunatly this powerfully true "love" concept is often offered out of context. The message of Gods love often comes across as if He is a great big huggable teddy bear in the sky.
Unfortunatly this constant teaching about the love of God outside of its scripture context has left a lot of people either confused, or simply mistaken about who God is and what He is like.
But what is love without wrath? What is grace without justice? You may be wondering where we are going with this but the very image of God is at stake here!
The God of the Old Testament goes to war for His people - not just once but again and again. At one point at the Red Sea he destroys the entire Egyptian army in a single, mighty blow. On the opposite bank the Isrealites sang these words aloud "The Lord is a Warrior, the Lord is His Name." This theme did not end with the Old Testament. Jesus' birth was a great invasion, a mission to set us free from our captivity to sin and death. In his own words, Jesus said "I have not come to bring peace on earth but a sword."

We want to encourage you to cast down the idle of the modern Mr. Rogers, wuss-bag God and replace it with the Warrior God of the Bible; The Lion of Judah, whose fierce love has the power to save His people from the grip of the enemy and overcome the strongholds of death in our land.
-liveoffensively.com

I find this to be such a comfort. I know that when life gets crazy, when I feel like I have no control or say over what happening, I have a father who is not only loving but a warrior, one who will save me. I personally dont want a wussy God, a santa clause in the sky! I dont want a vending machine God, where I put my prayers in, and get a treat in return. I want a God who will fight and defend me. I want a powerful, awesome God.

My lion isnt safe, tame or cuddly.
But His fierce love is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment