Friday, May 11, 2012


I just found out that another couple I know are getting a divorce. 
I am so frustrated, discouraged and mostly angry! Just flat out angry! 
Once again, Satan has taken something that God designed, something thats beautiful and holy, and twisted it! 
And this couple have bought the lies and thrown away a precious gift from God! 
Now don't get me wrong. I KNOW marriage can be tough. Im well aware that marriage is the impossible task of taking two sinful, complicated people and making them become one. 
Its impossible! Its crazy, frustrating and wonderful!
 There is no way through marriage without God, you will never convince me otherwise! 

Like John Piper says "Marriage passes through breathtaking heights and through swamps with choking vapours. It makes many things sweeter, and with it come bitter providence…The greatness and glory of marriage is beyond our ability to think or feel without divine revelation and with-out the illumining and awakening work of the Holy Spirit.The world cannot know what marriage is without learning it from God."
And this couple, like my other friends who are just finalizing their divorce, are Christians! I worked with them in the mission field, have prayed, laughed and cried with them! I did not see this coming.
Sometimes the worlds track record with marriage is so discouraging. Are my standards too high? Do I expect too much from broken, simple people? I myself am broken, simple and only have worth because of the blood of Yeshua on the cross! I think these questions but I know in my heart that Im right to be upset. That is Gods heart, of course! Most divorces are not "justifiable" in the Lords eyes. Im not trying to start a debate or offend people, so please just hear me. 
God doesn't see unhappiness as a reason for divorce.
"We want different things"  or "We love each other, but we aren't  IN love" or "He just doesn't understand me!". 
Those are not justifiable! Why? Because all of them, every single one, is selfish. Self-serving. 
Nothing about marriage ever was or ever will be about serving yourself. 

I don't want to make this long, nor am I interested in writing a book on marriage! Finding out about these friends is hard, but I have decided to fight the discouragement and pray!
I am reminded to pray for my married friends, believers or not. 
I am reminded to pray for my own marriage, to protect it, to shield it and nurture it. I am reminded of Gods faithfulness to those that love Him. 
Neither Andrew or I are perfect. But we are committed, first to God and second to each other. I truly believe that thats the only way it works. Nurture your relationship with the Lord, He will strengthen and bless your marriage. 

“Welcome one another . . . for the glory of God.” That is God’s word for your marriage. Thank him for it; thank him for leading you thus far; ask him to establish your marriage, to confirm it, sanctify it, and preserve it. So your marriage will be “for the praise of his glory.”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Edolbina, for sharing your anguish over the divorce of your Christian friends. Finally a woman after my own heart - no God's heart. How many times have Steven and I grieved over the news of another broken marriage and the fallout of those choices-the affect on the children and others....
    This subject is so close to home since my own siblings have not been untouched by this dicision.
    Crying with you,
    Auntie Heidi

    ReplyDelete